Monday, 16 April 2012

A Div 9 candidate speaks about Taylor Point

Having just stumbled on the website of Tim O'Hallahan, one of the candidates for Division 9 in the Cairns Regional Election, I find:
One of the main reasons I decided to run for council was the Taylor Point issue. For those unfamiliar with Taylor Point it is the promontory at the north eastern edge of Trinity Beach. For the past 25 years community and council have fought to stop the area from being developed.
About 18 months ago I attended a meeting at Taylor Point the aim of which was to make it clear to our councillor that local people wished him to vote against development of the Point. There was overwhelming support for this motion from those present and so I assumed Mr Bonneau would pass this onto the council. So it was with sheer bewilderment that I read in the Cairns post the following week that our councillor not only did not support us but was one of only four councillors who actually voted in favour of the development. At this point I emailed the councillor and asked him to explain his actions...I’m still awaiting a reply!

It's nice to see one of the candidates talking about Taylor Point, and even nicer to find that they agree with me.

O'Hallahan's website is www.givetimoago.com.au

No comments :

Post a Comment