Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Dawn

Dawn breaks over the Trinity Inlet, Cairns
This morning I braved the chilly 21 degrees celsius temperature (okay, it wasn't that brave, though I almost thought about wearing a jumper) to attend my long overdue first Dawn Service for ANZAC Day. Despite getting to the Cenotaph twenty minutes early at 05:10, the crowd had already built to the point I couldn't get a vantage point that would let me get decent photos. Instead I stood on the edge of the Esplanade boardwalk, able to catch glimpses of ceremonies through the crowd. I'm guessing that about 1,500 people were there by the end.

From TV coverage in the past I had always associated ANZAC Day with the sound of a lone bugler playing the Last Post in the last moments of darkness. Unfortunately the ceremony was ordered differently, and we had Abide With Me sung by a Cairns High School student instead. The Last Post didn't sound until after the sun was up. Maybe next year.

The Dawn Service seems to be great for the cafes. After the service the crown descended on the Esplanade's cafes for breakfast. I was first in at Coast Roast, but it filled rapidly. I suspect some people ended up waiting a while for coffee. The Trinity Beach cafes seem to be bustling as well after the 06:00 service here.

No comments :

Post a Comment