Thursday, 24 March 2016

Towers Hill

Charters Towers from Towers Hill
I decided to take the long, long way home from Townsville, heading through Charters Towers before heading north to Cairns. It was a long drive, and I'm glad I did it, but don't think I'll do it again. The landscape is very flat, and largely sparse eucalyptus trees with cattle roaming around. The further north you get the better the scenery becomes.

Approaching Charters Towers two things stuck out. One was a large barge/landing craft that was up on blocks in a paddock on the outskirts of the town. Painted on the side were the words "Lake wanted. Boat grumpy." I would guess it came up the Burdekin River a long time ago, but can't imagine why it was left there. 

The other thing that caught my eye was the hill near the town with what seemed to be a lookout. I made my way through town and up to what turned out not to be just a lookout, but a small theatre where each evening there is a screening of a historical film about the area. The Charters Towers area is very flat, and even from the top of a small hill one could see a long way.

No comments :

Post a Comment