Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Cacatua

I headed down to Townsville for a night on Monday, and stayed at the Aquarius on the Strand. In the morning I wandered out onto my 11th floor patio and watched some sulfur crested cockatoos apparently playing in the coconut palms below. Thinking I would likely not be above such a scene again for a while, I slipped in to grab my camera and get a couple of shots.

Sulfur crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
It was only after I wandered inside and zoomed into a photo that I realised that it was actually a mixed group, and some of the birds were actually little corellas.

Little corellas (Cacatua sanguinea)
I suspect this is my first sighting of little corellas in the wild, though given my initial inability to recognise them perhaps I have seen them in mixed groups before. We often have cockatoos in the palms around Trinity Beach, so I may have to look more closely next time I see them.

No comments :

Post a Comment