Sunday, 22 March 2015

Gordonvale Golf Club

Gordonvale's tenth green with Walsh's Pyramid in the background.
It has been a couple of years since I last played a round of golf, perhaps three. I've had a swing at the driving range a couple of times but it's not quite the same. Today I headed out to Gordonvale Golf Club, which I had never played before.

Gordonvale is one of Cairns's cheaper clubs, and definitely aimed at locals rather than tourists. The greens weren't as good as I remember Half Moon Bay's, where I used to play a lot. Recent rains have left the fairways nice and lush though, and I couldn't blame a bad lie for my many failures.

The course is split into two sections, an open area inside the horse racing track (holes 1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18) and a tree-lined section closer to the highway. The race course section is, of course,very lightly planted so as not to obstruct the view of horses, but it does make very good use of a creek crossing a number of the fairways in the driving areas. I was lucky and avoided the creek today. The lack of trees does have the benefit of opening up views to Walsh's pyramid, which provides a lovely backdrop to the course.

The par three 8th hole with small melaleucas in front of the green.

The other part of the course isn't thick jungle, but certainly has enough trees to punish a wayward shot. They are used to particularly good effect on the short dogleg par four 7th and 16th holes. On the par three 8th a couple of small melaleucas are between you and the green, but they shouldn't be in play if you hit the right club. It's deceptively long and I clubbed short, just clipping one of the trees.

My best tee shot of the day left me with a short pitch to the 16th. I missed.
It was nice to be back out on the course, and I intend to play fairly regularly again over the next few months. There are quite a few courses in the region that I haven't played, so they're at the top of the list. I'll get as far north as Cooktown, west to Ravenshoe-Millstream, and perhaps as far south as Townsville.

No comments :

Post a Comment