Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Mixing ice cream and politics

On Saturday morning I heard the ring of the Home Ice Cream van going past. I contemplated a bucket of their rum and raisin ice cream. The temptation was great, but in the end I opted against it this time. Maybe next fortnight, I thought. A couple of ice cream cravings were fought off over the weekend.

And so to today, when I read the news that the Dishonourable Andrew Powell MP, whose job title suggests he is meant to be Queensland's Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection, had decided to call for a boycott of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream because he thinks the company "has signed up to the campaign of lies and deceit that’s been propagated by WWF". We should note that some members of the Liberal and National Parties, of which Powell is one, are pushing for a ban on campaigns against companies on the grounds that they are selling products that damage the environment.

Here's how Ben & Jerry's describe their campaign:
The Great Barrier Reef is at threat from rapid and widespread industrialisation.

That’s why Ben & Jerry’s has joined forces with WWF Australia in the fight to protect our national icon, and stop the dredging and dumping of millions of tonnes of seabed into the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage area.

During the Tour we will be travelling across our fair land, scooping out free ice cream and raising awareness of how the Reef is at serious risk from intensive dredging, mega ports and shipping highways, and encouraging Australians to join the campaign to save Australia’s iconic Great Barrier Reef.

As Ben & Jerry’s co-founder Jerry Greenfield said, "Ben and I built Ben & Jerry's on the idea that business has a responsibility to the community and environment." so it’s time to raise our spoons in support!
I visited Ben and Jerry's Australian website and read about their climate justice policy, and also noticed their pro-marriage equality stance. They support Fairtrade products. I saw a tweet confirming that they do not use palm oil in their products. This is an ice cream company after my political heart!

I browsed their flavours and Chunky Monkey, a mix of banana ice cream, chocolate chunks and walnut pieces, sounded rather tempting. I learned that Ben and Jerry's is available at Night Owl supermarkets, including Trinity Beach. Et voila:


It's delicious! I think rum and raisin will remain my favourite ice cream flavour, but I'm going to try a few more flavours in the Ben & Jerry's range.

No comments :

Post a Comment