Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Clive Palmer thinks moral growth is impossible after you turn 30.

On last night's Q&A a Christian pastor questioned Kevin Rudd on his decision to support marriage equality for gays and lesbians. Rudd gave an eloquent response that met with strong approval from the audience.


In the press coverage today I noticed Clive Palmer's criticism:
Mr Palmer also criticised Mr Rudd's decision to change his position on marriage equality.

"If Mr Rudd was sincere on that issue that would have been his position for a long time," he told reporters.

"These sort of social issues - whether it's abortion, euthanasia, gay marriage - they really come to you at some stage in your life. "Certainly during your twenties you should have formed that view."
Many people's views on these subjects evolve over time. I was far less gay friendly in my twenties, I think largely because I didn't know anyone who was gay (or at least I didn't know it if they were).  To the 20-something me, homosexuality was "icky", and I'm sure that if you had asked me if gays should be able to get married back then I would have been opposed. The 40-something me of now wishes that I had been asked, and indeed challenged, about it.

I can't help but feel that Palmer's inability to see how someone could change their views on moral subjects with the benefit of time, consideration, and better information counts against him both as a candidate and as a person.

No comments :

Post a Comment