Friday, 14 June 2013

A fitting celebration

At the end of my working day my last duty is usually printing out the calendars for the cars and meeting rooms for the next day, and I often amuse my inner geek by including a cryptic reference to a scientist whose birthday falls on the day. Last night I checked the birthday list, picked out a name I knew, couldn't find a picture that I thought suitable, and went for some text instead.

This morning I woke to my mobile phone ringing. I failed to reach it in time. A couple of minutes later the landline rang. Bleary  eyed, I stumbled through and answered it. It was a colleague from work. "Why is Courtney calling me on a Saturday?", I thought to myself. She obviously heard confusion in my voice as I greeted her and asked if I had forgotten it was Friday. Oh smeg! It was 0930. I'm sure my alarm had sounded but had only stirred me enough to turn it off. I have no recollection of waking. I think that waking to a phone call rather than my Monday to Friday alarm, combined with not yet being fully awake, led to my errant belief the weekend had begun. I got to work a little late.

The text I had put on the calendars was where I usually put the day, but had put in "I forget what day it is... It's um... What was I saying?"

The birthday boy for 14 June was Alois Alzheimer.

2 comments :

  1. Think this is funny? You obviously have no idea of the pain and heartbreak that Alzheimer's sufferers and their loved ones go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well yes, I do think it's funny. That's why I posted it. Oh, you meant it rhetorically. In that case, lighten up, smeghead!

    ReplyDelete