Sunday, 21 April 2013

Xylocopa aruana

I had previously photographed the male great carpenter bee (Xylocopa aruana), and found them rather inquisitive. I found the only time it was still long enough for me to photograph was when it had noticed me and was looking at me and the camera. It gave me a nice portrait style shot, but the profile was harder to get. This morning one seemed more interested in something, I couldn't see what, on a small tree on the rocks at the base of Earl Hill, and I managed the below profile shot.

Male great carpenter bee (Xylocopa aruana)
Shortly afterwards, the bee seemed to notice I was there and the next few shots had it looking down the lens again. I get this feeling that they are more aware of me than other bee species, even when it seems they know I'm there.

No comments :

Post a Comment