Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Stomatopods

One of the creatures I have often been tempted by, despite their price tag around $100, is the peacock mantis shrimp (Odontodactylus scyllarus). They're not really shrimp, but instead members of the stomatopod group. I had an unidentified small green stomatopod that came into my tanks in live rock for a while, but unfortunately it died after I removed it to a small and probably inadequately prepared tank. I found it a very inquisitive creature, often finding its stalked eyes peering out of its hole and watching me. The peacock mantis, as its name suggests, is a particularly gorgeous species. Their appearance, however, isn't the most surprising thing about stomatopods.

What's so great about stomatopods? Head over to Oatmeal and find out:


No comments :

Post a Comment