Sunday, 18 November 2012

Australian bustards

While driving back from Mt Mulligan on Saturday I saw a bird out of the corner of my eye. I hit the brakes thinking "That's the oddest curlew I've ever seen" and hit reverse. I looked at an odd looking bird that I hadn't seen before, at least not in the flesh. My brain, it turns out correctly, threw up "bustard" as a possibility. It was an adult and a fairly young chick.

An Australian bustard (Ardeotis australis) with chick
So another first sighting of a species for me, and the realisation that pouring over bird books has managed to get a fair bit of information into my head. Another one appeared shortly afterwards in another field. I'm assuming they're fairly common up on the dryer parts of the Tablelands.

An Australian bustard in a field near Dimbulah

No comments :

Post a Comment