Saturday, 7 July 2012

Having a ball?

As I was waiting for a bus this afternoon, I passed a few minutes looking in the window of a souvenir shop, Far North Frontiers on Lake St. I noticed a few alternative medicine capsules on display, including some of the usual - royal jelly, shark cartilage, colostrum. The usual snakeoil products. Then something I hadn't seen before caught my eye: Essence of Kangaroo. WTF?

Skippy in a pill

I googled Essence of Kangaroo on my phone, and there it was. From the manufacturer's website:
The kangaroo, the symbol of Australia, has lived on the Australian continent for thousands of years. Kangaroos have a high fertility rate, and a male kangaroo can mate with many dozens of female kangaroos in a year. Kangaroo meat has the highest level of protein in all the animal meats including beef, pork, lamb, and chicken, and the highest level of minerals such as zinc, iron, potassium, and sodium.
Ah, therefore powdered kangaroo offcuts will make you a sex god! The product is apparently popular with some Asians, whose traditional medicine includes a lot of questionable logic along the lines of animal X has characteristic Y, therefore if I eat X I will be be Y. The thinking is often extended to particular parts of the animal. It is, of course, absolute bollocks.

So, what parts of the kangaroo do you think are in those capsules? Fancy some ground up kangaroo balls?

No comments :

Post a Comment