Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Rainbow bee-eaters

The rainbow bee-eaters are in town in large numbers for their breeding season, and are fairly easy to find. There were quite a few at Taylor Point this morning, and I found a spot where I thought one might land, then waited. It took a while, but eventually the one on the right landed on the branch. I fired of a couple of shots and was about to carry on walking. Then two more joined it, one killing its lunch with a few smacks against the branch:

Rainbow bee-eaters (Merops ornatus)
Here's another, a little closer:

Rainbow bee-eater (M. ornatus)
The species builds its nests in burrows in open ground, so I'm hoping to get a wireless remote control for my camera soon so I can set it up close to a nest, then back off and wait for the parents to come to the nest.

No comments :

Post a Comment