Friday, 18 May 2012

Katydid territory

Unidentified katydid on a singapore daisy (Sphagneticola trilobata)
The singapore daisy is an invasive plant from South America that grows in many areas around Cairns. It grows profusely along the edges of the trails in the more sheltered and moist parts of Taylor Point. In some patches, the majority of flowers seem to have their own tiny katydid in residence. I saw one with two katydids, but didn't think to examine them closely. I now find myself wondering if there's something like lekking happening. Are the males resident and trying to attract females, or are females the residents and males travel from one to another trying to impress them? I may have to spend some time watching them more closely.

I think I'll have to add the Guide to the Katydids of Australia to my list of books to be bought.

No comments :

Post a Comment